Wednesday, January 15, 2014

I'm a Cuban English...

Yes, that's right. I'm mixed ancestry like 99% of the people of the US. I also never renounced my dual citizenship with England as I was born to an English mother on US soil with a Cuban American father. It's all very complex but who cares, right? What does it all mean?

Well it means I grew up on Doctor Who, Gilligan's Island reruns and I Love Lucy in syndication. Mis abuelos only spoke spanish so I had to learn from an early age and I spoke both languages as I grew up. It also means I have great hip action, can dance but prefer to sing as I have that down much better.

It also means my mother thought she was Mary Poppins(yeah, and that would be true only if Julie Andrews was a chain smoking asthmatic who thought her ills were the only ills that existed) and my father thought children should be raised by the women. In the 1970s let me tell you what that meant...My grandfather wanted to raise me and both my parents threw me head first at daycare...ANY daycare. Screw the fact my grandfather was the best you could imagine and my sole inspiration for good parenting.

Further, it means I love cuban food but I'm short like my Scottish relations.

Let's face it, I'm a mess. My tias would tell me I'm half...half..always HALF. That means they never approved, nor did the English relations. Always HALF, never whole except wholly disappointing. Could I play baseball? Hell YES, I was great at whacking that horse-hide out of the park. But instead I got the closest thing my mom could find to a boarding school like she wanted to go to with the California Boys' Choir. Don't get me wrong, loved to sing, still do...but when your parent's sole aim seems to be to get you the fuck out of their sight it does sting. Oh yeah, and let's not forget that my English relations referred to us as the "Little Cuban Niggers" until we showed up there in 1977 and we were as lily white as they were. This is slightly amazing when you consider my abuelo was nearly black.

This mass of supposed contradictions is really not half of anything, it's DOUBLE. It means neither side was going to claim us in case of a disappointment so they could blame the other side for the infraction. I know you're wondering,"did his parents stay married?" Nope. This little amazing combo was destined to die as everyone was looking for reasons to be unhappy and none of them really wanted kids.

When it came my turn to be a parent I was ready. After the amazing performance of mom and dad I had plenty of bad examples not to follow.

So I put it out to the internet. Is there ANY English or Cuban families in need of a family member? I have not had one decent example of a family that wasn't fake or forced. I'd like to be adopted by a Cuban Family and vacation in England with a nice mum or grandmother.

I'm housebroken and I do tricks.

No comments:

Post a Comment